SCAS (Sport for Christ Action South Africa) has launched a ground-breaking leadership training initiative in association with the ISC (International Sports Coalition) with the vision of training Sports Ministry leaders in this diverse and fast developing field. With the need to attain a clearer understanding of our mission, a refining of ethics, new expertise training, more effective management and a more relevant application of discipleship training, a new Christian campus has been born.
SPORTS MINISTRY - MISSION FOR THE MILLENNIUM
The Sports Ministry movement is expanding dynamically in every part of the world and the need for high quality training of leaders for over 230 countries should receive the highest priority. Eddie Wafer
The explosion of enthusiasm for sport, the development of the electronic media and the achievements of local sporting heroes present the followers of Jesus Christ with an unprecedented opportunity.
CHALLENGE 2000 - THE QUEST FOR CHRISTIAN LEADERSHIP
SCAS (Sport for Christ Action South Africa) has launched a ground-breaking leadership training initiative in association with the ISC (International Sports Coalition) with the vision of training Sports Ministry leaders in this diverse and fast developing field.
SCAS has been in existence since 1985 as an organisation which supports, serves and spiritually epuips the Church, sports bodies and communities throughout South Africa.
For over two decades SCAS has been linked to the ISC which comprises a network of more than 150 Sports Ministry organisations world-wide - and expanding.
The need for young Christian sportsmen and -women as well as committed sports enthusiasts everywhere to capitalise on this global phenomenon is critically important. We need to seize the moment and use these enormous resources in the most effective ways possible - to the greater glory of God.
With the need to attain a clearer understanding of our mission, a refining of ethics, new expertise training, more effective management and a more relevant application of discipleship training, a new Christian campus has been born. It represents a unique opportunity for future leaders in Sports Ministry to receive the finest training and spiritual grounding available world-wide, as well as an opportunity for Christians and sports people to contribute and make donations to one of the most dynamic and meaningful ministries working around the world.
SCAS, in association with the ISC, has established the International Sport Leadership School (ISLS) near Stellenbosch in the Western Cape Province, South Africa. The campus is set on Die Eiland, a 2,7 hectares training centre, amidst some of the most beautiful mountains in the world and is only 30 minutes from Cape Town. It is just 7 km from the world famous Stellenbosch University and students at the School will be able to avail themselves of the internationally renowned academic, research and sporting facilities of this great university.
ARE YOU A FUTURE LEADER IN SPORTS MINISTRY?
The importance of passing on what the Lord has taught us to our brothers and sisters in Sports Ministry cannot be minimised. I am excited that the foundation of the training at the School is experiential an not just theory, -Robin Paul (India)
The pioneers of Sports Ministry world-wide have joined forces to share their knowledge, experience and passion with a new generation of leaders in Sports Ministry. Are you prepared to carry this, one of the most dynamic ministries of our time, into the next millennium?
The training offered by the International Sports Leadership School is totally unique in that it focuses on:
- Leadership Development for Sports Ministry
- Experiential Learning Methods in Training
- International representation of students
- Lecturers who have the highest standard of international Sports Ministry lecturers in the world
- The latest information technology multi-media, and video methodology available
South Africa, a country that is key to global political relations, rich multi-ethnic heritage and a climate of nation-wide sporting enthusiasm
- Biblical Modules - O.T. + N.T. hermeneutics and expository studies; Mission Principles; Sport Ministry Principles, etc.
- Sports Ministry Modules - Sport Ministry Philosophy, Principles, Ethics, History and Development, Theory and Practice including Coaching, Chaplaincy, Clinics, Major Events, Resources, Local Church, etc.
- Leadership Modules - Profile, Principles, Situation Leadership, Development of Leadership Qualities in oneself and others, Mentorship, etc.
- Management Modules - Relationships and Task-Orientation; Administration including Information Technology, Marketing, Accounting, etc.
- Cultural Modules - Anthropology including World View, understanding Cultural Values, Incarnation, Modernism, Post-Modernism, Cultural Work, Sporting Cultures, etc.
- Communication Modules - Personal skills including Testimony, Teaching, Bible Studies, Discipling, etc. (Methods include Website design and use of Video, Literature, etc.)
- Personality Development - Personal, Spiritual, Social, Intellectual, Physical and Psychological growth.
- Sport Specific Training Modules - Coaching (Practical & Theory), Physiology, Event planning.
Teaching and equipping people to train the harvesters is a must to accomplish the Great Commission in our generation. The International Sports Leadership School is one of the finest ways to achieve our goal of reaching the world through the universal language of sport - Alex Dias Ribeiro (Brazil, Atletas de Cristo)
We have assembled a team of some of the most highly sought-after and respected lecturers and experts in Sports Ministry worldwide. Amongst them are:
- Larry Armundson (USA)
- Cassie Carstens (S.A)
- Solomon Gacece (Kenya)
- Herman Guehring (Germany)
- Lowrie McCown (USA)
- Robin Paul (India)
- Alex Ribeiro (Brazil)
- Rina van Zijl (S.A.)
- Eddie Wafer (USA)
- Andrew Wingfield-Digby (UK)
- Frans Cronjé (SA)
- Trevor Goddard (SA)
- Piet Albertyn (SA)
- Mike Alford (USA)
- Graham Daniels (Wales)
- Brian Davidson (USA)
Requirements for Admission
- Complete commitment to honouring Christ and furthering His Kingdom
- Passion for sport
- Outstanding leadership qualities
- Potential for playing a key role in Sports Ministry
- Ability to communicate clearly in English
When can you start?
The current course started on 15/16 June 2001 and runs through to 12 September 2001.
The next course will start in June 2001.
Closing date for Applications: 1 March 2001
Fees were US$1600 for 2000. Expect increase
For further information on the International Sports Leadership School, please contact Cassie Carstens or Rene Potgieter at:
Tel: +27 21 8891077,
Fax +27 21 8832513 (for attention Cassie)
P.O. Box 3386